About Me

My photo
Hi. Welcome to my "taboo" blog. My name is Steph, and when I first started this, I was still in my thirties. In 2017, I switch decades! I am a Christian, so underlying everything I do and say is the Word of God, and the foundational truths I have learnt over the years. This doesn't mean I'm perfect - I am human. It just means I recognise I need God's help to live this life and try to live out His way, as best I can. So that's me in a nutshell. Thanks for taking the time to read through my blog, I hope you draw strength, hope or encouragement from what you read.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pass Me a Lettuce Leaf...!

Now I'm all for trying to sort out what is causing me fertility issues, and making whatever changes to my diet are necessary in my desperation to conceive Bubba... But at this rate, I'm going to be eating nothing!

If it's not gluten it's yeast, if it's not avoiding acidic foods it's increasing our protein intake or eating anti-inflammatory foods... and now, it seems, cholesterol is being blamed (click on any of the words to link to relevant articles)... Oh, and we need to inject ourselves with egg yolks!

Add to this all the foods we cut out when TTC... caffeine, chocolate, alcohol; oh.... and the foods we know you shouldn't eat when you get pregnant, just in case we do get pregnant in that two week waiting period, we want to give our bubba the best start after the journey we have taken!! So these include food like blue cheese, pate, mayonnaise, mousse or anything which could contain raw eggs... the list is endless.

The question remains then... what is safe to eat!??!

I think these types of studies are looking for a way to appease those of us who are TTC, and it seems that this is starting to become a bit of a money-spinner... Our pain, misery and heartache seems to be being targeted by those who make a business out of pain, misery and heartache! Such cynicism, I know... but I;m actually become tired of "the experts" trying to change my diet and make me eat this, that and the other to increase my chances of conceiving.

The fact is, we are all different. No two women TTC is the same. Our bodies are different. Our immune systems our different. The causes of the restrictions on the success of our conceiving are different. The way our bodies respond to different foods is different. This is why I think we need to work out what our bodies are saying, rather than what the experts say, otherwise we will literally be afraid to eat. I think each couple needs to hear for themselves, from God, when it comes to working out what we are putting into our bodies.

I have tried to reduce the amount of gluten I eat, purely because I noticed that when I ate it, my body was reacting. The herbalist I went to see recommended I cut out acidic foods, which I did for a while. I continue to avoid eating refined products, like white sugar, white bread, white pasta, as much as I can, but I've stopped beating myself up when I am at a friends house and fed lasagna or offered home-baked cakes. Although, I don't accept them all the time, now and again, I think, is OK. Especially when Aunt Flo arrives and I'm fed-up!

I think we need a good dose of God's wisdom, because this whole area is still trying to be understood and research is being published almost every week for this study or that observation. I don't think there's one particular fertility diet, otherwise, hey - this would be so much easier to find something which works!!!

So, can someone pass me the bag of lettuce please!


Father God, help me to listen to my body with Your wisdom, and not in a weird new-agey kind of a way. Help me to know if food really is an issue for my body, in my struggle to conceive, and whether there are foods I need to avoid or increase to help you work a miracle in my life... Let me know what is the "possible" bit I can do, which will make a way for you to do the IMPOSSIBLE act in my broken body, so that my womb may bear fruit and Bubba will be conceived. But Lord, help me not to get so hung up on all this, that I can't hear your leading in my Journey for Bubba. In Jesus name I pray.

No comments: